Skip to main content

Complaints, academic appeals and disciplinary allegations

If something goes wrong while you are a student at the University, we have complaints, discipline and academic appeal processes to help address it.

If you would like to raise a concern or a complaint information on the different options is provided below.

Student Complaints

A student complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction levelled by a student against a service or facility of the University.

This can include things like:

  • An academic or other University service
  • Information about academic or other University service
  • Teaching or supervision
  • Facilities

There is more information about making a complaint here where you will also find the form you need to submit.

You can contact for further advice.

Dignity and Respect Policy and Procedure

The University is fully committed to fostering an inclusive and supportive environment characterised by mutual respect. Behaviour which contravenes this will not be tolerated, and the University will take any allegation of inappropriate behaviour extremely seriously.

If you would like to report inappropriate behaviour by another student or staff member, you can do so by:

Any allegation of of discrimination, bullying, harassment, assault or victimisation will be dealt with under the Dignity and Respect Policy and Procedure.

Disciplinary Procedure

The University of Bath has clear expectations of the behaviour of its students, and will take disciplinary action to address inappropriate behaviour or 'misconduct' which doesn't meet these.

A disciplinary allegation is an allegation that someone has breached the University's expected standards of behaviour. This could include things like:

  • Not following University regulations
  • Inappropriate behaviour towards other students or members of staff
  • Disrupting the operation of the University

More information on disciplinary allegations - including what to do if one is made against you - can be found on our disciplinary pages.

You can contact for further advice.

Academic Misconduct

Behaviour which breaches the University's academic expectations is known as academic misconduct or "an assessment offence". It could include things like:

  • Plagiarism
  • Cheating
  • Falsification

More information on how the University will investigate and address academic misconduct can be found in QA53 Examination and Assessment Offences.

Non-payment of fees

Under University Regulation 2.4 the University may require you to withdraw from the University if you fail to pay your fees.

Under that same Regulation, you may seek readmission to the University by writing to the Vice-Chancellor. In such cases, readmission is not normally approved until all fee arrears have been settled.

You are encouraged to contact the Student Finance Office to agree payment arrangements. You can also speak to Student Money Advice.

Appealing against University Decisions

Appealing about an academic outcome

The University has established procedures allowing students to appeal against an academic decision about them. This can include decisions about things like:

  • Progression from one part of your programme to another;
  • Suitability to remain on your programme;
  • Outcome of your study in respect of awards or classifications.

More information can be found on the Academic Appeals pages.

You can contact for further advice.

Appealing against a Student Disciplinary Decision

If you have been found to have committed a disciplinary breach and want to appeal against either the decision that you have committed the breach, or the sanctions applied in response, you can find more information through the Disciplinary Appeal Process.

Appealing against an Assessment Offence

If you want to appeal against the decision that you have committed an assessment offence, you can do so through the the Assessment Offence Appeals Process.

You can contact for further advice.

Appealing against expulsion from the University

If you have been expelled from the University following a decision by Senate, you may appeal to the Council Appeals Committee, the procedure for which is set out in Section 20 of the Standing Orders of Council.

Sources of advice and support

You may find it helpful to speak to a member of the Wellbeing Service for emotional or wellbeing support if you are involved in any of these procedures.

You can also speak to an advisor at the SU’s Advice and Support Centre for advice and support throughout this process. The SU is independent of the University.