Applied Biomechanics Laboratory
Our Applied Biomechanics Laboratory is equipped to study human motion and muscle dynamics.
- Automatic motion capture system
- Force plates
- High speed video cameras
- Multiple digital video cameras and editing suites
- Telemetry EMG
- Pressure mat system
- Dual pressure insole system
- Ultrasound system
- Isokinetic dynamometer
- Wireless inertial motion tracking system
- Strain gauge / accelerometer acquisition system
- Timing gate systems
- Laser Distance Measurement system
- Dedicated Linux server for computational analysis
Much of this equipment is mobile and can be used for field-based research.
Our dedicated video analysis suite features PEAK Motus and Target systems and Sportscode match analysis software.
The Psychology suite is equipped with:
- Digital cameras for behavioural analysis
- Notational analysis system
- Data entry scanner
- Advanced statistical software
- Physical activity monitoring devices
- Rooms dedicated to qualitative data collection (interviews and focus groups)
Applied physiology laboratory
A research laboratory dedicated to physiological data collection during exercise equipped with:
- Various cycle ergometers (for example, Monark & SRM)
- Treadmills (Woodway and Powerjog)
- Resistance equipment (Keiser)
- Expired air analysis (Servomex)
- Portable expired air analysis (COSMED)
- Fusion Smartspeed & Brower timing gates
- Physical activity energy expenditure (Actihearts)
- Continuous Glucose Monitors
Our ‘wet’ laboratory is equipped for blood handling, analysis and cell culture. The techniques used in this laboratory range from automated spectrophotometers and haematology equipment through to quantitative real-time RT-PCR for gene expression and genotyping.
Metabolic research laboratory
This laboratory is equipped for assessment of metabolism and blood flow under resting conditions. This laboratory is also equipped for tissue sampling (adipose and muscle). We also have a DEXA scanner housed in a different building for the assessment of body composition and bone mineral density.