'The highlight was definitely the summer residential; it was one of the reasons I applied in the first place. Who doesn’t want to spend a few days in the summer away from their parents, and for free?!’
Target Bath supports students of Black African and Caribbean heritage to gain places at the University of Bath. You may also have the opportunity to gain a reduced offer (details below).
The programme is run in partnership with Rare, a leading organisation in diversity recruitment with a proven track record of supporting Black students to gain places at the UK’s top universities.
Target Bath is free of charge and is open to UK-based students in Year 12. The programme provides support throughout Year 12 and 13, providing insight into life at Bath as a Black student. It will support you with subject choice and preparing for the UCAS process. Target Bath students will also be offered a place on Discover Bath, the free summer residential programme.Find out more about Rare
As part of Target Bath you will:
- Have regular contact with Black or ethnic minority university graduates to pinpoint your strengths, discuss your aspirations and identify areas for development
- Have the chance to speak with current Black students at Bath through webinars, individual and group mentoring to get an insight into their experiences
- Be part of an online community of Target Bath students where you will discuss your subject interests and thoughts about university
- Receive personalised advice on making the right degree subject choice
- Receive personalised advice and support on your personal statement and UCAS form
- Visit Bath with the Target Bath team to meet current Black students. (Travel expenses will be paid)
- Take part in Discover Bath, Bath’s free summer residential programme
- Take part in a series of summer sessions providing access to academics
- Receive support and advice when deciding between your university offers
Summer Residential - Discover Bath
As part of the Target Bath Programme, you will be invited to take part in Discover Bath, a free summer residential providing you with the opportunity to get a taste of first-year life at the University and explore the city. On-campus accommodation and meals will be provided for the duration of your stay.
Target Bath is available to UK based Year 12 students who:
- Are of Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other heritage, including mixed-race students of Black heritage
- Have achieved 5 or more GCSEs at grades 9, 8, 7 or 6
- Are academically able to study at Bath in their chosen subject
The University does not offer courses in Law or Medicine. Please check the courses on offer carefully before submitting your application using the digital prospectus.
Priority will be given to students who meet our widening participation criteria.
Applications are now open for the 2023 cohort.Apply now
All Target Bath participants who apply to study at Bath will receive additional consideration during the application process.
In addition, having completed the Discover Bath summer school as part of the Target Bath programme, you may be eligible to receive a reduced offer. The specific terms of your offer will be outlined to you, and may vary by course, but will typically include a reduction of one grade in one of your A-Levels.
Q: Why should I apply to Target Bath?
A: The competition for places at Bath is high, meaning any expert advice you can receive when applying is invaluable. Target Bath will provide you with advice and develop the skills you will need to succeed. Even if you don’t get into Bath, the skills that you will gain on this programme will help you to succeed, whatever you go on to do.
Q: How do you decide who gets onto the programme?
A: We are looking for students that we think have the skills and the motivation required to get into Bath. We will consider your academic record, your written skills, your ability to communicate ideas clearly and, most importantly, your motivation and passion for achieving your goals.
These things will be assessed through an online application form and a telephone interview.
Q: How long with the telephone interview be?
A: The interview should last about 20 minutes.
Q: How much does Target Bath cost?
A: Nothing, it is completely free.
Q: How many places are there?
A: Target Bath will support 50 students a year.
Q: Will I have to take time off school to attend the workshops and sessions?
A: No. You will be able to arrange your meetings with your mentor at a time that is convenient for you. The workshops and sessions will take place during the holidays or in the evenings. You will always be informed well in advance of the dates and times of the sessions and workshops.
Q: When will I need to be available?
A: You will have regular contact with the expert team of Bath mentors based at Rare including the Target Bath coordinator. During term time, you will have regular contact over email and phone, with events & activities taking place during the holidays. The dates for the Discover Bath residentials are already scheduled.
Q: What if I don’t get a place on Target Bath?
A: If you are not offered a place on Target Bath, do not let this discourage you from applying to Bath. As we are only able to take on a small number of students, we know that there will be great students that we will not be able to take onto this programme.
You should be able to get advice from your teachers at school if you decide to apply and there are lots of other opportunities for you to get involved with the University. You can also get a personalised list of activities, events and resources that might be helpful for you by completing our opportunities form.