Skip to main content

Careers support for changing or leaving your course

Find out how Careers can help if you want to change, transfer or leave your course and where to find other sources of support.

The front doors of two hours - one is blue and one is yellow
Careers can support you if you are considering changing or leaving your course

What to do if you're unhappy about your course or university life

At Careers, we see students each year who feel this way and their reasons are varied and very personal.

You might feel unhappy because the course isn’t what you expected, or your coursework isn’t going very well. You may feel like your course is fine, but you’d rather be in another place. You might be feeling homesick or finding life lonely and this is preventing you from settling in. You may have health issues that are making adjusting to university difficult.

Whatever the reason for your unhappiness, the most important thing is to ask for help from someone in the University as soon as you feel like this.

Personal Tutor and Director of Studies

If your concerns are related to your course, then you can request an individual meeting with your Personal Tutor.

Each degree programme has a Director of Studies who is responsible for coordinating teaching and assessment and dealing with individual student progress. You should speak to your Director of Studies if you are worried about any aspect of your studies, and certainly, if you are thinking about suspending your studies, transferring university or leaving your course.

Finding out if a change or transfer is possible

In Careers, we can't advise on whether a change is possible.

You need to contact the admissions tutor in the new department/university to find out information about the course that you want to change to or transfer onto.


We can help you if you want to discuss changing or leaving your course, including transferring university. We can support you in making the right decision for you. Careers Consultants are not connected to academic departments, they are completely impartial and can help by:

  • talking through the pros and cons of changing, transferring or leaving your course
  • helping you consider different strategies
  • providing information on:
    • the career implications of different courses
    • alternative courses and universities
    • alternatives such as entering employment or taking time out
  • suggesting other sources of help

If you have questions or would like support from Careers:

Please note that we cannot advise on whether a course change or transfer is possible.

Advice and support centre

The Advice and Support Centre can offer you advice, information and support on many issues affecting your student life. Download their free Guide to changing course, withdrawing or suspending your studies.

Student Support

Contact Student Support for advice on the financial implications of your options.

See the Student Support page on Suspending your studies or leaving the University and Guide to suspending study.

International students

International students should be mindful of the time limit on their visa. You should speak to a Student Immigration Adviser before you take any action on changing, suspending or leaving your course.

Further help

Not Going to Uni - offers apprenticeships and other opportunities that do not require a degree. It also includes blog posts and case studies.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page