Skip to main content

DBS checking for Pharmacy students

All Pharmacy students must complete a DBS (Disclosure and Baring Service) check during the first few weeks of Semester 1 (Year 1).


DBS checks

It is a legal requirement of the General Pharmaceutical Council that all Master of Pharmacy students undergo a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) criminal records check. You can find out more information about these checks on the DBS website.

You must apply for your DBS check during the first few weeks of Semester 1 (Year 1) as you will require an acceptable DBS certificate to take part in placements which start early in the Semester.

If the results of this check show that you have a criminal conviction, caution, reprimand or warning which is deemed unacceptable under the General Pharmaceutical Councils (GPhC) fitness to practise concerns in education and training policy then you may ultimately be required to withdraw from your course. You should also refer to the University's Fitness to Practise policy

What you need to do now?

You will need to provide 3 acceptable documents to prove your name, date of birth and address. You must bring your original documents with you when you arrive at University.

Students living permanently in the UK will need evidence of their current permanent address (at point of application for the DBS), this could be a bank statement or driving licence.

Students whose permanent address is overseas will need a document showing their temporary UK address (such as a UK bank account opening letter/statement).

Most students provide a passport, driving licence, and bank statement (this cannot be produced online but must have been posted to your permanent address or printed and stamped in a branch of the bank), other documents are acceptable. You can find the DBS list of suitable documents on their website.

If you are unable to produce documents from route 1, please contact

The cost of the DBS check is £42.80 (unless you are unable to meet route 1 in which case there will be an additional charge) which is paid via the University online store.

You will also be required to sign up to the DBS Update Service for the duration of your studies. There is an annual charge for this service.

If you already have an enhanced DBS check for adult and child workforce and are registered with the Update Service please contact

Students who have lived abroad

Students who live or who have lived outside the UK

If your permanent home address is outside the UK or you have lived outside the UK for a period of six months or more, within the last five years, you will also be required to produce a criminal records check, or "certificate of good character" from those countries that you have lived in. Please make the applications for these checks now so that you will have them with you on arrival in Bath. Further information can be found on the DBS website about overseas criminal records checks and how to apply.

There will be a DBS information session during Induction week on Thursday 29th September where you will be given more information.

On this page