Completion of the Independent Prescribing and Advanced Clinical Assessment units is designed to provide an enhanced training, commonly termed a “CEPIP” course (Clinically Enhanced Pharmacist Independent Prescribing).
The Advanced Clinical Assessment unit results in the award of 30 academic credits (CATS credits), which can be used to contribute to a range of academic awards including Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc.
If you complete Independent Prescribing and Advanced Clinical Assessment units, you will gain the award of PG Cert in Prescribing and Therapeutics.
You can take Advanced Clinical Assessment as a standalone CPD unit if you have already completed an accredited Independent Prescribing course.
The key features of the Advanced Clinical Assessment unit are:
- you will gain a range of advanced clinical and physical assessment skills through a series of workshops facilitated by expert trainers
- you will develop your skills through a range of practice-based activities within your clinical area and under the supervision of a clinical supervisor
- you will also be supported to complete 25 hours in practice developing your clinical assessment skills
This unit has two intakes a year. The next intake will be June 2021
The Advanced Clinical Assessment unit takes place over 6 months and you'll attend a series of mandatory workshops:
- Workshop days 1 & 2: 9 and 10 June 2021
- Workshop day 3: 7 July 2021
- Workshop day 4: 21 July 2021
- Workshop day 5: 8 September 2021
- Workshop day 6: 7 October 2021
- Workshop days 7 & 8 (Assessment): 3 and 4 November 2021
If you are unable to join us for the June course the next intake will be in December 2021. Following that, future intakes will be twice yearly in March and September.
- You have completed an accredited Independent Prescribing course.
- You are embedded within a clinical setting working within a defined speciality.
- You will be required to have a Clinical Supervisor in place to supervise your learning in practice. This could be the person who acted as your Designated Prescribing Practitioner during the Independent Prescribing course.
- You have the support of your workplace to complete this unit.