The Advanced Clinical Assessment unit results in the award of 30 academic credits (CATS credits), which can be used to contribute to a range of academic awards including Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc.
If you complete Independent Prescribing and Advanced Clinical Assessment units, you will gain the award of PG Cert in Prescribing and Therapeutics.
You can take Advanced Clinical Assessment as a standalone CPD unit if you have already completed an accredited Independent Prescribing course.
The key features of the Advanced Clinical Assessment unit are:
- you will gain a range of advanced clinical and physical assessment skills through a series of workshops facilitated by expert trainers
- you will develop your skills through a range of practice-based activities within your clinical area and under the supervision of a clinical supervisor
- you will also be supported to complete 25 hours in practice developing your clinical assessment skills
Please note that the course covers examination skills for adult patients, we do not have a paediatric component in this unit.
This unit has two intakes a year. The next intake will be December 2021.
The Advanced Clinical Assessment unit takes place over six months. You'll have access to a dedicated online learning environment and an electronic portfolio.
There are also a number of compulsory workshops which will enhance your learning. Some of these run remotely and others are in-person on the University of Bath campus, where you will be able to develop your assessment skills using our clinical simulation equipment and by working with medical actors.
- You have completed an accredited Independent Prescribing course.
- You are embedded within a clinical setting working within a defined speciality.
- You will be required to have a Clinical Supervisor in place to supervise your learning in practice. This could be the person who acted as your Designated Prescribing Practitioner during the Independent Prescribing course.
- You have the support of your workplace to complete this unit.