We are responsible for governance of the University.
As the governing body of the University, we have general oversight over the institution and its affairs. Council comprises 21 members, with a lay majority who come from outside the University, bringing skills and experience from other sectors. The Vice-Chancellor is also a member of Council, as are members of University staff and two elected officers from the Students' Union.
We act in the interests of the University as a whole, take collective responsibility for making decisions, and adhere to the seven Nolan Principles of public life. To ensure transparency and impartiality, Council maintains a register of members' interests available online.
We meet at least five times a year, participate in strategy sessions and sit on Council committees, including finance, remuneration, audit and risk.
Ex officio members
- Mrs P Chesters, Chair of Council, expiry of term 2022
- Mrs M Bond, Appointed by Council, expiry of term 2022
- Mr T Ford, Senior Independent Director, Appointed by Council, expiry of term 2022
- Mrs C Gibbons, Appointed by Council, expiry of term 2023
- Professor D Griffiths, Appointed by Council, expiry of term 2022
- Mr T Hollingsworth, Appointed by Council, expiry of term 2022
- Mrs C Mealing-Jones, Appointed by Council, expiry of term 2022
- Mrs C Moar, Appointed by Council, expiry of term 2021
- Dr M Harney, Elected by the Senate from its members, expiry of term 2023
- Professor T Ibell, Elected by the Senate from its members, expiry of term 2023
- Dr D Moon, Elected by Academic Assembly from the members of Senate, expiry of term 2022
- Mr M Hameed, Elected by Non-Academic Staff, expiry of term 2021
- Mr M Holley, Elected by Non-Academic Staff, expiry of term 2022
- Professor B Morley, Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Provost
- Professor J Bradshaw, Pro Vice-Chancellor (International & Doctoral)
- Professor J Knight, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Professor P Lambert, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Learning & Teaching)
- Dr Cassie Wilson, Vice-President (Student Experience)
- Ms E Commander, Head of Strategic Governance
- Mr M Williams, Director of Finance
- Mr K Zimmerman, Chief Operating Officer
- Mr A McLaughlin, Chief Executive of Students' Union (Observer)