Most DBAs offer a doctorate in business or management. But the Bath DBA in Higher Education Management is the only programme of its kind.
We've developed our DBA specifically for university leaders. Gain the research skills you need to address the challenges of higher education in the 21st century.
What makes the Bath DBA in Higher Education Management unique
- A specific focus on higher education management
- Delivered by one of the UK's best business schools
- Develop research skills relevant to higher education managers
- Combine research with professional practice by applying your increased knowledge to your work
- A strong global alumni network who support current students and the programme
The expertise you need to make a genuine impact in your area
As well as developing your leadership expertise, the Bath DBA will give you the skills you need to apply research to your own professional area.
We bring together the latest scholarship and an applied focus on research. You'll develop a thorough understanding of how and why things happen in contemporary higher education.
You'll graduate with research skills appropriate for higher educational managers, and be better equipped to deal with the ethical and political issues facing higher education today.
Applying your DBA research to your own organisation will allow you to:
- understand emerging trends in higher education
- improve national and international policy
- establish and share best practice in management and leadership
We regularly invite graduates to visit and feed back into our programme to keep it relevant and up-to-date. We're confident that our DBA students go on to produce some of the most significant and influential research in this area. Read more about DBA programme content.
The DBA in Higher Education Management is more structured than a traditional PhD. It has two phases:
- a two-year taught programme delivered through four residential sessions in Bath (eight days per residential session)
- a DBA research thesis phase
We welcome students from all over the world, and emphasise sharing knowledge. You'll meet higher education professionals from around the globe facing similar challenges to you.
Regular residentials, our virtual learning environment and peer-to-peer support make networking and sharing good practice simple.
The University is also home to the International Centre for Higher Education Management (ICHEM). Since 1994, ICHEM has been at the heart of higher education research, bringing together leading scholars from a range of disciplines as a centre for higher education research.
ICHEM experts lead the DBA in Higher Education Management, teach on the programme and supervise research.
- Mid to senior level managers working in higher education
- Leaders from governmental ministries
- Leaders from organisations with a higher education brief
Minimum three years, maximum eight years
4 November 2019
Mode of study:
- Graduate-equivalent professional qualification and an advanced graduate qualification
- Experience in a mid to senior management position in higher education
Fees for 2019-2020:
- £10,000 a year for years one and two
- £2,000 a year for subsequent years
We would love to hear from you so get in touch if you have any questions about the programme.
If you want to come to Bath (on a work day, during normal working hours), we can meet you, talk to you about the DBA and show you around. If you visit during one of our residentials, you'd be welcome to sit in on a session. This will give you the chance to experience how we teach on the course and meet current students and staff.