Opening a UK bank account
How to open a bank account in the UK, including how to request proof of your student status.
Banks on campus
Banks in the city centre
There are several banks in the city of Bath.
- The Co-operative Bank
- Cheltenham and Gloucester
- Lloyds Bank
Choosing a bank
- compare bank accounts at MoneySuperMarket
- visit the banks in person or find out information on their websites
- check the terms and conditions of an account carefully (for example, monthly costs)
Please note that it is often only possible to open a basic bank account (current and savings accounts) in the UK. You can check the Money Advice Service for information about different types of accounts.
How to get a letter of proof of student status
If you want to open a bank account, you need a letter to prove you are a student.
You need to follow these steps to get a letter:
- Go to Registration Online to complete all parts of the registration.
- Request a bank letter by clicking 'to whom letter request'.
- Select 'to a bank or building society'.
- Enter the name of the bank you wish to open the account with.
You can collect the letter from the Student Services Centre, 4 West.
What to take to the bank
You need to take the following documents when opening an account:
- your passport and visa
- letter from the University with your UK and overseas addresses on it