Funding for International and EU students

International and EU students coming into the UK to study should have in place the necessary funding to cover their tuition fees and living costs for the duration of their studies. If you fall into financial hardship once you are in the UK it can be very difficult to secure additional funding after you have commenced your studies.

Students should research funding & scholarship opportunities well in advance prior to starting University and apply for any University Scholarships that may be available to them.

Undergraduate students who are from and reside in the European Union may apply for a tuition fee loan from the UK government.  Find out more details and eligibility criteria.

Postgraduate students can visit the web pages of the Doctoral College for useful links on funding sources for courses ranging from Masters to PhDs. The postgraduate funding page also offers alternative funding opportunities from charities, trusts and independent bodies.

Read more about additional funding and financial assistance.

Notice for EU nationals

Currently, EU students who started their course after 25 March 2016 must prove they have been ordinarily resident in the UK for five years before their course start date in order to get living cost support from Student Finance England.

US Federal Loans

Loans are available from the United States of America for US students studying at the University of Bath. The University is recognised by the United States Government for the purpose of Federal Student Loans.

Our Registration (OPE Identification) Number is 0116 7900.

Loans for Canadian students

Global Education Management provides a partnership between financial companies and students studying outside of their home country. 

Bank accounts

Most international & EU students will only be allowed to open a basic bank account whilst studying in the UK with no entitlement to an overdraft facility. You can find information about opening a UK Bank account from the UK Council for International Student Affairs and  we recommend external advice when choosing a bank from the Money Advice Service and Money Saving Expert

Working in the UK

Detailed information can be found on the Student Immigration Service web pages. Please also visit the Students’ Union Joblink web pages for information employment rights, Income Tax and National Insurance.

Find out information about reclaiming Income Tax that you have paid whilst working in the UK.

Cost of Living in the UK

For information about the costs of living in the UK please have a look at our sample budgets.

Further useful information for International Students can be obtained from: