Skip to main content

Academic & learning

Where you can get help with academic and learning issues.

University services

Academic Skills Centre

The Academic Skills Centre provide pre-sessional, academic, mathematics and language skills support and enhancement, both for your studies and future.

Academic Registry

Academic Registry provide advice on registration, student records, course & unit catalogues, the timetable, exams, academic frameworks and quality, and student graduation.

Personal tutors

Personal tutors are members of academic staff who provide pastoral support and guidance to taught students on their academic progression. They are a key personalised point of contact between you and the University.

Directors of Studies

Directors of Studies are responsible for the day-to-day management of courses and are the key contact for students on the course.

Library staff

Library staff support research, study and teaching for staff, students and visitors at the University.

SU services

Advice & Support Centre

The Advice & Support Centre offer independent guidance & support with academic challenges, including:

  • requesting an extension
  • asking for unexpected circumstances to be taken into account for an assessment (an 'IMC')
  • responding to alleged academic misconduct (e.g. collusion or plagiarism)
  • changing courses
  • support through a Fitness to Practice or Study process
  • appealing an academic decision (e.g. progression or grades)
  • making a complaint

The best way to contact SU Advice is to email We usually respond within one day and can arrange an appointment (in-person or online) between Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm.

SU Education Officer

The SU Education Officer is elected to represent students in all academic and education matters to the University. This includes the academic representation system, personal tutoring, and emerging national education issues. You can contact them with any queries or concerns related to education.

Skills training

The skills training service offers peer-led workshops, covering a variety of topics such as Public Speaking, Cultural Awareness, Cooking, CVs & Interviews and many more, to develop and support your skills while at University.

Academic Representatives

Academic Representatives are elected by students on their course to represent them. They work with students to find out what the issues are and then work with the Students' Union (SU) and the department to solve these issues.

Peer Assisted Learning

Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) is informal study groups led by students who have already completed your unit or programme to provide extra support outside of formal teaching.

Peer mentors

Peer mentors provide Informal support from a student mentor from the same course to help you settle in, give any advice, answer any questions, or prepare for your placement.

On this page