Skip to main content
University of Bath

Money advice for international and EU students

Information for international and EU students on sources of funding and other financial information.

Three people talking around a table
Get information about funding

Funding for international and EU students

As an International or EU student coming to the UK to study, you must have the necessary funding in place to cover both your tuition fees and living costs for the duration of your course. Living costs in Bath tend to be higher than in other parts of the country, and in addition to your tuition fees, you are recommended that you will need approximately £1,300 per month to cover your living costs. If you fall into financial hardship once you are in the UK it can be very difficult to secure additional funding after you have commenced your studies, especially if you have not made adequate financial provision before starting your course.

You should research funding & scholarship opportunities well in advance prior to starting University. Undergraduate students who are from and reside in the European Union may apply for a tuition fee loan from the UK government. Find out more details and eligibility criteria. Currently, EU students who started their course after 25 March 2016 must prove they have been ordinarily resident in the UK for five years before their course start date in order to get living cost support from Student Finance England.

The Government has issued guidance regarding student finance arrangements for EU students studying in the UK. If you’re an EU student starting a course on or after 1 August 2021, you must have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to get student finance. This does not apply if you’re an Irish national.

Postgraduate taught students should look if any University Scholarships are available to them.

Doctoral students can visit the web pages of the Doctoral College for useful links on funding sources for courses ranging from Masters to PhDs. Our postgraduate funding page also offers alternative funding opportunities from charities, trusts and independent bodies.

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also provide information and advice about fees and money.

Save the Student provides further information about scholarships and funding for international students.

US federal loans

Loans are available from the United States of America for US students studying at the University of Bath. The University is recognised by the United States Government for the purpose of Federal Student Loans.

Our Registration (OPE Identification) Number is 0116 7900.

Loans for Canadian students

If you are a Canadian student studying here you may be eligible for a loan from the Canadian government or a private loan from a Canadian bank.

Additional Funding

Read more about additional funding and financial assistance for international students.

Bank accounts

Most international and EU students will only be allowed to open a basic bank account whilst studying in the UK with no entitlement to an overdraft facility. You can find information about opening a UK Bank account from the UK Council for International Student Affairs and we recommend external advice when choosing a bank from the Money Advice Service and Money Saving Expert.

Working in the UK

Detailed information can be found on the Student Immigration Service website. Please also visit the Students’ Union Joblink web pages for information on employment rights, Income Tax, National Insurance and current job vacancies.

There is also information about reclaiming Income Tax that you have paid whilst working in the UK.

Cost of living in the UK

For information about the costs of living in the UK please have a look at our sample budgets:

Further information about budgeting and living costs can be found at:

Further useful information for International Students can be obtained from: