Skip to main content

Postgraduate Taught and Doctoral students

Where you can get help with PGT and doctoral issues

University services

Academic Skills Centre

The Academic Skills Centre provide pre-sessional, academic, mathematics and language skills support and enhancement, both for your studies and future.

Academic Registry

Academic Registry provide advice on registration, student records, course & unit catalogues, the timetable, exams, academic frameworks and quality, and student graduation.

Doctoral College

The Doctoral College supports and enriches the experience of doctoral researchers and plays a key role in developing policy and strategy relevant to doctoral study.

Doctoral peer mentors

Peer mentoring for new doctoral students involves matching you with another doctoral student who has been at the University for six months or more so that they can be a point of contact for when you start your studies.

Independent advisors

Independent advisors can provide support to doctoral students. If you encounter a problem that cannot be resolved at a Department, Faculty, School or Doctoral College level, or where you feel these routes would be inappropriate or inadvisable, you can seek independent advice from this service.


The Kaleidoscope group is open to all staff and postgraduate researchers at the University who identify as LGBT+ and provides social events, lines of support and representation at university level.

Personal tutors

Personal tutors are members of academic staff who provide pastoral support and guidance to taught students on their academic progression. They are a key personalised point of contact between you and the University.

Directors of Studies

Directors of Studies are responsible for the day-to-day management of courses and are the key contact for students on the course.

Supervisory team

All postgraduate research students are allocated a supervisory team who provide day-to-day support for studies.

Student Support Advice Service

The Student Support Advice Service provide wellbeing and welfare advice and support to all students. You can talk to them about anything that's bothering you.

SU services

Advice & Support Centre

The Advice & Support Centre offer independent guidance & support with academic challenges, including:

  • issues with your Supervisor
  • requesting a coursework or dissertation extension
  • responding to alleged academic misconduct (e.g. collusion or plagiarism)
  • support through a Fitness to Practice or Study process
  • appealing an academic decision (e.g. your grades or degree classification)
  • making a complaint

The best way to contact SU Advice is to email We usually respond within one day and can arrange an appointment (in-person or online) between Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm.

SU Postgraduate Officer

The SU Postgraduate Officer is elected to represent all postgraduate taught and doctoral students to the University. This includes developing the postgraduate community, increasing postgraduate student engagement, and responding to emerging postgraduate student issues. You can contact them with any queries or concerns related to postgraduate study.

Academic Representatives

Academic Representatives are elected by students on their course to represent them. They work with students to find out what the issues are and then work with the Students' Union (SU) and the department to solve these issues.

Postgraduate Association

The Postgraduate Association (PGA) represents and helps build community for over 4000 research and taught postgraduates at the University of Bath.

On this page