There are many places around the University which offer support and advice in their area of expertise:

Student Services can advise you on:

Student Living can advise on any accommodation-related matter, whether your question is about:

  • paying for your accommodation,
  • finding private accommodation,
  • checking your contract or
  • dealing with a difficult landlord, among other things.

The Students’ Union can advise on:

  • housing issues such as finding housemates, checking your contract, landlord issues and Council Tax,
  • academic issues such as appeals, IMCs and changing courses,
  • personal issues such as disciplinaries, complaints and support you if you have experienced abuse, harassment or discrimination.

The Student Finance team can help with:

  • tuition fee queries and payments,
  • problems with your funding body,
  • bursary payments,
  • financial registration at the University,
  • evidence of tuition fee payments.

The Academic Registry can help with:

  • registration issues
  • examination questions,
  • transcripts,
  • certificates,
  • name changes,
  • graduation questions.

Your Department can help with:

  • questions about your course- module changes, exam timetables, extensions,
  • letters about your progression to the next year of your course,
  • adding or removing a placement option on your course.

Your Placements Office can help with:

  • finding a placement, including application and interview help,
  • help if you have a problem while on placement,
  • liaising with your placement provider to ensure the academic requirements of the placement are being met.

The SCP (Student Community Partnership) can help with:

  • volunteering opportunities,
  • neighbour relations,
  • sustainable living